Jesse Montes currently lectures in the Environmental Studies Department at the Royal Thimphu College in Bhutan and is a part-time technical advisor for a Canadian non-profit organization, Plateau Perspectives. With his background in political ecology, natural resource management and Canadian environmental policy, Jesse is also using his skills as a photographer to highlight and improve livelihood concerns of remote Himalayan communities.
- PhD – Wageningen University & Research
- Professional Agrologist – registered with British Columbia Institute of Agrologists
- Environmental Professional – registered with Canadian Environmental Certification Approvals Board
- Masters of Natural Resource Management – University of Manitoba
- Bachelor of Arts (Environmental Studies) – The King’s University
- Montes, J., Tshering, S., and Phuntsho, T. (in review). Cosmological Subjectivities: exploring ‘truth‘ environmentalities in Haa Highlands. Conservation & Society.
- Montes, J. (2019). Environmental Governance in Bhutan: Ecotourism, Environmentality and Cosmological Subjectivities. Doctorate Dissertation. Wageningen University & Research, Wageningen, the Netherlands.
- Montes, J. (2019). Neoliberal environmentality in the land of Gross National Happiness. Environment and Planning E: Nature and Space. DOI: 10.1177/2514848619834885
- Montes, J. and Kafley, B. (2019). Ecotourism discourses in Bhutan: contested perceptions and values. Tourism Geographies. DOI: 10.1080/14616688.2019.1618905
- Montes, J., Kafley, B., Suba, D., Dema, T., Dendhup, T. and Seldon, P. (2019). Ecotourism and Social Cohesion: Contrasting Phobjikha and Laya Experiences. Rig Tshoel, 2(1).
- Montes, J. and Bhattari, S.R. (2018). Buddhist biopower? – Variegated governmentality in Bhutan’s Gross National Happiness agenda. Geoforum, 96, 207-216.
- Montes, J., Tshering, S., Phuntsho, T., Kagoda, D., Kafley, B., Wangmo, M., Subba, M.M., Wangmo, T., Jangchuk, and Dendup, T. (2018). Assessing Sustainability of Ecotourism Ventures in Bhutan. Rig Tshoel, 1(1), 5-22.
- Spaling, H., Montes, J., and Sinclair, J. (September 2011). Best Practices for Promoting Participation and Learning for Sustainability: Lessons Learned From Community-Based Environmental Assessment in Kenya and Tanzania. Journal of Environmental Assessment Policy and Management, Vol. 13, No. 3., pp. 343-366.
- Tashi Delek Magazine. (July-August 2017). Daga La: A Thousand Lakes and More, (Story and Photography). Bhutan.
- Tashi Delek Magazine. (May-June 2017). A Trip to Laya and Beyond, (Story and Photography). Bhutan.
- Tashi Delek Magazine. (Jan-Feb 2017). Experiential Travel, (Story and Photography). Bhutan.
- The New York Times. (May 9, 2016). Wellness in Malibu; Hep in Planning for Bhutan, (Khamsum Yulley Namgyal Temple Photograph).
- Tashi Delek Magazine. (July-August 2015). To Dungtsho – Trekking into the Clouds, (Story and Photography). Bhutan.
- Kuzuzangpola Magazine. (June-July 2015). Trek to Phajoding and Tango & Chari, (Stories and Photography). Adaptation of “Phajoding” and “Tango-Chagri“. Bhutan.
- Kuzuzangpola Magazine. (April-May 2015). The Nub Tshonapata Trek in Haa, (Story and Photography). Adaptation of “4 Days in Haa“. Bhutan.
- Outdoor Photography Canada. (Spring/Summer 2015). Issue 33. “Mystic Rocks”. Fall 2014 Photo Contest Grand Prize Winner.
- National Geographic Your Shot. (January 2015). “The Hunter”. First Light.
- UNDP-GEF. (May 2014). “Spiritual Life” and “Education”. Parks for Development.
- Social Sciences PhD Researcher (November 2015 – present) – Wageningen University, Netherlands.
- Environmental Lecturer (July 2013 – present) – Royal Thimphu College, Thimphu, Bhutan.
- Photographer (2009 – present) – Montes Photography. Commissioned event and photojournalism projects as well as fine-art landscape photography.
- Environmental Management Technical Advisor (March 2012 – present) – Plateau Perspectives, Xining, Qinghai, China. Oversight and management of capacity building projects with focus on development of ecotourism in the Sanjiangyuan area.
- Environmental Management Officer (August 2008 – March 2012) – British Columbia Ministry of Environment, Victoria, Canada. Project management of policy and regulatory initiatives concerning waste management activities (wastewater treatment, composting, solid waste).
- Environmental Impact Assessment Researcher (July 2008 – September 2008) – The King’s University College, Tanzania.
- Masters Thesis Researcher (September 2006 – August 2008) – University of Manitoba, Kenya & Canada. Review of environmental assessment processes for small-scale water supply projects in rural Kenya. Received Masters of Natural Resource Management.
- Soil & Groundwater Remediation Technician (September 2005 – April 2006) – Biogenie, Edmonton, Canada. Large scale onsite remediation of contaminated soil and groundwater due to oil & gas operations.
- Wetland Hydrology Researcher (May 2005 – September 2005) – University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada. Researching impacts of logging on wetland hydrology in northern Alberta.